Saturday, October 30, 2010

1.1 Introduction

Welcome to my Blog,

Inspired by this guy and his attempt at finding a One-Shot Formula I was pretty disappointed that it ended in failure. As an amateur artist myself, I know the challenge can be frustrating. I've always wanted to be a comic book artist, but with the way the business is always changing, increases in piracy, and of course the competition in the field has made me the reality that it may never happen. However that doesn't mean I'll stop drawing, nor will I ever give up on trying to make a comic book people will like. Even if it's only shared by people who watch me on DA.

I plan to share this journey with anyone who'd willing to follow. Before I do however I want to make some promises to you the reader so you have a better understanding of where I'm coming from.


  • " I don't know everything "- Even though I'll be chronicling my progress and sharing information with you, I don't know all there is to now about comic books or manga. I've been learning as I go all my life, but only in the last 2 years have I really taken a good stab at it. If something I post doesn't sound right or you have an alternative idea. please tell me. Don't be worried about giving me constructive criticism. If you have a better idea share it, that way we learn something together.
  • " I like both Manga and Western Comic Books "- This seems odd, but when it comes down to my preferences, I like both styles equally. You won't get any bias from me on this end. The only problem I have is people who make manga reading Right to Left when they live in a country that reads Left to Right. As for myself, I have somewhat of manga style to my artwork, but I find most of my inspiration comes from comic books of the 70's and 80's. No matter what style you prefer, everything I post here will work for both.
  • " Everything is subject to change "- I'll be posting a lot of what I worked on the past 7 months. And even in that time I went back, changed things, found new ideas, etc etc. Nothing posted here is set in stone, nor will it be the law of the land. I learned most of what I know from failing. And my failure to make a successful One-Shot lead me to share this process. 
  • " This won't be art related "- The internet is saturated with drawing tutorials and clubs that help the struggling artists, but this won't be one of them. The ideas that will be shared here are for people who are comfortable with their artwork and really want to tackle a One-Shot project, but find themselves failing every time they try to make one. I have felt pretty confident in my style for over a year now, but I haven't made one complete One-Shot to date because I didn't take a hard look at what I was doing. That's what lead me here.
So that's about it for the quick introduction. In the end I'm a very reasonable guy. I've been on the internet long enough that I've met people online who try to help other amateurs out there, but they come off as rude and have very fragile egos. Not me. I'm unemployed, in my 30's, and I'm willing to hear anyones opinions or comments. Of course if you're just flat out mean I'll just ignore you. lol

My main goal here is to share the information I've gathered the past 2 years from various How To Books, Online Tutorials, and even other websites that share information into a process I came up by myself. It probably isn't the right way to do a One-Shot, nor will guarantee any success. I don't promise fame or fortune.

All I'm doing is giving you another view on how to tackle the process which may give you better ideas. And most importantly, make a One-Shot efficiently and consistently. No matter what style or genre it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment